Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sculpture

For my project, I am curling ombre-colored paper in to wearable jewelry.   The twisted paper is meant to represent life, and as life goes on it gets more and more twisted. This is also represented in the color, with life getting darker and more twisted, so the bottom is continually darker than the top.

After making and attaching the earrings, I used a clear-drying glue and added sparkles (I think embossing powder?) I used white powder on the top 2/3 of the spiral, and a dark blue powder on the last 1/3 which was black.


1.How did you use your own unique ideas?

Originally, I hadn't wanted to do wearable art. But, once I got an idea I liked, I wanted a way to make them. A necklace would look weird, a bracelet would likely come undone.  Earrings would be perfect.  A small spiral would be more likely to hold the shape, and they would be easy to get the wire around. The ombré and and ombré glitter were my idea. 

Did you use a source for inspiration, then combine it with your own ideas to make it original?
The idea of spiraled paper was mentioned to me by Emma-all I needed was a story to go with it. I chose to make the spiraled paper in to jewelry (wearable art) rather than relief art. 


Did you ask another student for feedback during your work process?
The idea itself came from Emma, and I got her feedback throughout the process.  I even had her try them on to see how they actually looked on, and made adjustments (mostly referring to the wire) after seeing them realistically. 
Did someone help you understand important information or inspire you?
The idea still came from Emma, but no, no one really explained any part of the project to me.  Most of the time I was explaining the project to them! Clearly, you cant really "see" the message, but I still like them at least by appearance, even if the message isnt evident.  

No comments:

Post a Comment